8.03.2009

process dictates outcome


I contributed this piece to the Benefit for Nicole Gagne, the jewelry artist who was injured when a staircase collapsed this past April at the Crane St. Studios in Long Island City. The show was this past Thursday at Priska C. Juschka Fine Art, and 100% of the money from art sales went to Nicole. While I know several artists who have worked in the building, from painter Hein Koh to tintype artist Keliy Anderson-Staley, I do not know Nicole, but I was intrigued to see on her jewelry website that our jewelry has some similarities. . . hammered metal shapes suspended on chains, inspiration from nature, incorporation of natural objects, and a philosophy of work, ‘Process dictates the outcome,' that resonates deeply with my own theories of making and teaching. I painted a watercolor representation of one of her metal shapes and attached seeds onto the FREE WILL entry of an old encyclopedia page. I hear she is doing much better, thankfully. I hope we can meet someday.

No comments: